Sunday, July 24, 2011

Together


You know those moments. The ones when you hear the voice of God through another human being. I had one of those last night as I was praying with my wife. And they seem to be happening a lot since I’ve moved here. There’s just something about being around an immensity of humanity that allows you to see God clearer in a strange way.

My wife told me yesterday that the transition to NYC has been easy. That is when it hit me:

"You know why? Its been easy because we are doing it together."

And in that little realization as we were lying in bed I saw a whole lot of gospel truth.

I think I’ve been realizing that when two people in marriage, meant to mirror Christ and the church are doing things together it is easy. But when we are alone and apart it is difficult. We weren't meant to live that way!

There can be great power in marriage. There is great power in being of one heart and one mind in decisions and doing life.

Yet we forfeit that so often. Why do we do it?

I think that is what I really came to last night is that if we really wish to do anything with God we need to be together in it. Of one mind and one heart in each decision. In obedience to our great loving Father. And it will be easy. Just like Elise and I doing NYC.

I’ve always wondered what Jesus meant when he said his yoke is easy and his burden light. I think the above statement and the truth in it is what he meant. Its easy when you are co-laboring and doing life together with Jesus. Not so easy when you aren’t.

As I believe the not having an architecture job phase of my life is ending( this 3 year long endeavor). I think I am realizing maybe it was an issue of obedience. Maybe it was an issue of not being of one heart and one mind with Christ in this area. (that’s another set of blogs in itself) but I know this much…that in NYC I am where I am supposed to be architecture job or no architecture job... and he will continue to handle the admin stuff and tell me which door to go through when that time comes. And its probably not going to look at all like I thought it would look.

I know this is where God has me because it’s easy to be here…and it should be very uncomfortable. But the burden is light with Elise and I here doing this together…and I like doing this together. There is no place else my heart would rather be than with Christ and alongside Elise.

And knowing that…it will be easy…and it will be joyful and full of peace. And it will probably be challenging and difficult and painful at points…but together…with them I feel like I have the power to do anything.

And that’s something wonderful.

-J. G. Grinstead

No comments: