Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Unexpected, Yet still in God's plan


8For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. 9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. 10 As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, 11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. 12 You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. 13 Instead of the thornbush will grow the juniper, and instead of briers the myrtle will grow. This will be for the LORD’s renown, for an everlasting sign, that will endure forever.”

-Isaiah 55

I had the pleasure of hearing N.T. Wright speak when he was in town this past week. He spoke on this passage among a few others. It was a fitting passage to speak on for what would transpire over the past few days.

The Lord's ways are not my ways. I have learned this and it should not shock me. But it still does when God continues to move unexpectedly in the unexpected and largely unwritten life he is making for us here in NYC.

In entering into this blank canvas that is NYC, I've been trying to paint what I want things to look like rather than letting things play out as they will. I think I am a bit impatient.

On Sunday morning at 5:30am the day before I was slated to start my trainee/ intern position with an architecture firm here in NYC they sent me an email letting me know that " after much thought and consideration, they do not have a position available at this time." I handled it well on Sunday trusting God that he had something better. But when Monday came and the filling of empty time with errands in Manhattan and knowing I was so close to being in an architecture firm I was more than a little upset. I spent most of the day being a horrible human being.

I think in this whole architecture thing I am learning to trust that God has his hand in things. And nothing really matters besides my relationship with Him and letting that flow into other things... my ways are not his ways a lot of the time..... most of the time...and even this opportunity that disappeared is for His purposes.

I am clueless as to what God is doing. I am okay with that. Because he can handle all the admin stuff. I get to experience the joy of trusting in His providence. He will provide. He is a great father. Things will come in time...when they are supposed to...so we wait. Just in a new place.

-J.G.Grinstead

No comments: