Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Matthew 17:8

I get frustrated when people say God told me this that or the other. 

Its just one of those things you probably should not try and refute in other people it will just end up in a huge argument. Yet the fact remains that life has told me that not everything God "said" to these people seems to pan out. 

Yet even in those moments when their "will of God" doesn't pan out they still say "God must have other plans." 

It bugs me so much.

So forgive me in my ranting and frustration; I am a little skeptical and frustrated at something I can't bring up because "God told them". 

By no means do I have this whole communication with God thing down. I wonder sometimes if it is even possible but I think if God speaks we should probably know it or at least be able to discern a little better than most of us do in those moments. 

I know this though we get so caught up looking for specifics of what we are supposed to do , what God  told us etc. that we will occasionaly miss the line that connects all those things together. God.

He is what all our focus should be on, but perhaps we should not focus so much on him and in turn miss the world around us and him speaking around us through it.

I asked a friend a couple nights ago:
How have you seen the soverignity of God manifested in your life as of late?
As of late I think that is a far better question to be asking than " what did God tell you" and a far greater way of looking at the will of God because it forces us to look around us not inside of us. We look at who God shows himself to be and what He is doing rather than what we are doing or supposed to be doing.

I love theology for that reason, it shows me who God is. I love observing for the same purpose. When all the facts in my brain filter out, revelation comes from my heart and it has helped me understand who God is and respond to that. And that is far more valuable than anything I have "learned" or "heard". 

To His Glory,
JG




No comments:

Blog Archive