Tuesday, March 24, 2009

[IN]vertical


As an architecture student I am taught to think a certain way about the world and my engagement in it; to breakdown what most take for granted and analyze it to its purest most metaphorical essence and then transform this into something tangible for others to experience. Most of you who read this will never understand the full complexity of what that means or let alone be able to comprehend this and my way of reasoning. As Elise says there is always a back story to what I write here and you have to understand me and the circumstances thoughts and reasoning surrounding and what I am finding captivating/ takes my breath away at a given time before you begin to understand my writing.

I guess this is why intellectuals put footnotes into their papers, because no one really understands them. So they do their best to trace their reasoning that the common man might follow along.

When I decide to talk about the [IN] vertical here you must understand that the course of my reasoning regarding this subject regards knowledge of my relation to the horizontal vertical and diagonal plane and their specific definitions to me. The vertical plane is the relationship we have with God. The horizontal the relationship we have with people. The diagonal finding God in community and people; this being I believe my best simple reasoning as to how to live my life as a Christian. That is letting God invade into my everyday life and interactions with others.

The [IN] vertical is a downward humble position: a starting point to building a bridge, the very columns that support all the verticals, horizontals and diagonals that allows for true relationship with God. Understanding that He alone is in control of what happens on the other planes and he is the very support that holds all things together. It does not allow for inaction in the christian walk but sees every action as a chance to further strengthen the other planes.

Elise sent me the above picture last night it is of my favorite bridge in the whole world located in Ventura CA. I never realized til this morning why I loved the bridge so much. I understand now! It's because all the members are so strong and the unseen supports on the sides of the highway are unseen yet immensely present but they are mighty and strong.

As Christians we ought to be like that bridge, our foundations must be true and strong. We shouldn't be swayed by trivial matters like the earthquakes that come occasionaly in Ventura, CA. Set your foundations in the [IN]vertical in the downward humble position. Understanding that He alone is in control of what happens on the other planes and He, Jesus, is the very support that holds all things together.

JG

No comments: