Friday, November 30, 2007

"they know not what they do"

I was out this morning with a friend for coffee and this woman came up to us and proceeded to talk about whether or not we love the Mexicans who have apparently invaded our country and are destroying our economy. She asked me several questions:

1. Do you love illegals?
2. Do you want more money?
3. Would you tell the prisoners that you love them?
4. Would you let them go free if they murdered your sister?

It was honestly quite odd. I didn’t know quite what to say or how to respond.

It was Just like the interaction I had a few weeks back with a Hindu monk who was willing to sell his possessions go homeless and give away books for a living.

It always amazes me when I see people willing to give up their comforts for a cause. The woman this morning with the illegal issue and the monk who wanted to get the Bhagwad Gita out to everyone. Things like that.

But I think these interactions have made me realize how hurt we all are from the society that we live in. Each of us with wounds that need to be dealt with and the various ways we go about trying to fix it unsuccessfully. I’m not going to get mad at this woman who lives in a broken world and is fed up with the way it is and not going to bash her cause and method although she is doing it in the name of God. Because quite honestly I don’t blame her it is a hard broken shattered world we live in where there is seldom love and if there is love it is noted as being of a selfish nature.

I don’t blame the majority of Christians who live in a broken society and with the money they spend on animals they could end poverty. Because quite frankly there is a lack of true religion in this society. You can’t merely blame and not do. Things are broke that is why we need God!

I asked the woman this morning what she was going to do about this “issue” she said she was just merely raising awareness. But got fed up with us that we would not join her in her crusade against the mexicans.

But I think that we can learn from such a thing and apply it to reaching the world as christians. One person one interaction at a time you do what you can and let God do the rest: the impossible stuff. You raise awareness about what needs to change and live it out. You ripple out from Your own city first.

I love people but I swear“ they know not what they do.”
JG

No comments:

Blog Archive