Monday, January 01, 2007

Lessons from Lake Dillon



I am amazed to find how God can speak through the simplest things. That it does not take His Word to make us learn lessons or hear His voice. I guess this is what struck me this morning. God is so desperate to get in touch with his creation that He speaks through any means He can. He is the ultimate pursuer. I forget that so often.

I found myself as I normally do when God chooses to speak, in profound yet simple ways, by a body of water. On this particular morning I found myself aside the frozen waters of lake Dillon in Colorado.

I don't remember whose decision it was to venture out onto the lake. Needless to say though Elise and I decided to venture out onto the frozen stillness. I am still not quite sure what God was trying to speak from this experience but He was speaking so intimately to my ,much like the lake, half frozen heart.

I could hear the ice moaning . Unlike anything I had ever heard.

(pause)

Honestly that is what my heart and mind did they became as still as the very ice that was in the lake when I heard the noises that the lake was making.

(pause)

It is interesting that God chooses to speak to me through His creation and His creation's nature. To have me sit and stand on a lake that was a metaphor for the path God has for my life and my heart. To have me on the first of the year remember that I am nowhere close to spring.To make me see there is much crying and moaning in the process I have set myself on.

Needless to say that was...quite something.

I need not struggle against something that cannot change, to somehow believe I can be any more righteous than the entitelment granted me by Jesus' death on the cross. To somehow believe I can speed up the process of sanctification within myself. To somehow fight when I have a Warrior King soaked in blood and I am the one who wears white. How naive was and am I still?

I have in a sense been building walls when I have been grasped so firmly and put in a place where walls need not be built. I refuse to let God strip me bare, my pride refuses to let go. There is a groaning in my soul because of the undercurrent that is waging war.

As of late I have been in search of what most christians would call "Baptism of the Holy Spirit." I have been in a sense questing for what is now approaching about six months, ever since this season of life began where nothing is defined the same. I have gotten on my knees several times and asked that this gift be given, but it is not time yet, I am still by nature whether I like to admit it or not, flesh.

There is a selfish motive I must confess on my part. I want out of this season so badly. I am not going to lie that this has been the worst quarter of my life. I have gained a lot of what God said He was going to do and I have been given many "treasures of darkness." These are wonderful things to grasp and understand but being in the dark so long I long so desperatley for any light.

God showed me much more from the lake this morning but I feel for simplicity sake I will leave it here.I will say though that God showed me this morning what needs to change with this upcoming quarter...and it is going to look very different. I am redefined as a person and will act according to this man that God has fashioned.

JG

No comments:

Blog Archive