Thursday, December 21, 2006

To Love the Season


I love Christmas...it's one of the few times the church body gets it right: making Jesus the center of it all. Granted, we lose the point amidst the business and hub bub of it all and make it a ritual rather than a desire but generally I believe this is one of the few times during the year the american church gets something more right than wrong wether they realize it of not. The world for about a month revolves around the birthday of Jesus. I think that is pretty cool... He is so awesome.I mean honestly, the fact that Jesus would humble himself to the point of being a baby, one who burps, poos, and wets himself. I mean that is amazing the kind of love and the humbleness that he went through while here on earth. That is something to throw a big party about: we are no longer under eternal death!

I want to change my view a little bit from the typical though and focus instead not on baby Jesus but instead glorified Jesus. This image strikes me. Revalation 19

"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him [was] called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.His eyes [were] as a flame of fire, and on his head [were] many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.And he [was] clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies [which were] in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

I finally have a different picture in my mind of what exactley Jesus looks like not as a baby but as fully glorified. I mean honestly think of this: Jesus here is going to war and his army is all in white. That image is so utterly captivating. I think we have a tendency in this season to see the Baby not the Glorified. I am reminded with this blanket of snow that has recently fallen in my home state that Jesus is going to battle and his army is in white! Pure, untainted, unstained white!

Think of the implications of this, that Jesus when he fights he need not us. He fights! He gets the job done!

We should take this season to focus on the amazing fact that Jesus came as a babe. He humbled himself enough to death on a cross. He was raised from death and became fully glorified God in man form.Now he sits at God's right hand. He will hear our requests and fight for us. We need only ask. But we must not get a tiny picture of Jesus as his human stay is mostly remembered by we must view him glorified and in his present state. Fear him, he is worthy of our respect and honor.

No comments:

Blog Archive