Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Heart Thawed


There are moments in life where I believe we just know we need to get away: God is calling us to this different place for a time. I believe Many of us need to get away much more often than we do. I know I needed to get away for a while early this week. I needed a couple days to just be forced to reflect, pray etc.

I withdrew myself to Fort Collins, CO about an hour North of Denver and spent sometime with my sister and her husband in their apartment up there.

I took sometime this morning to drive up to the reservoir in the area. I had been to it about a year and a quarter ago and decided to retrace my footsteps: at that time I had just entered into my relationship with Elise, God had silenced a lot of my spiritual gifts and was stripping and silencing a lot of the core of who I was.God was literally just hacking away with his pick axe at my stone heart that was so unloving at that time.

Now the trail was a little muddy due to the melting snow but when I got down to the water's edge I saw something I did not expect to see. No part of the lake was frozen.

The reason this is so remarkable is because last year while I was in Colorado we had three blizzards within a 21 day period ( unheard of ever). This break is so different.

See, when God decided to thaw Colorado last Christmas break Elise and I went to her Aunt's Cabin in the mountains with her parents. We went to a Lake named Dillon up there. It was completely frozen much like my heart at the time. We ventured out on the lake and heard the undercurrent moaning and complaining wanting winter to end. One of the most unsettling things you may ever hear.

It may not have hit you since you have not walked my shoes and share my experiences but the beauty of the non frozen lake in the middle of winter put my heart at such a peace.There was tranquility in the waters this morning.

I found myself in awe of what God has truly done in a year and a quarter since I was last there. Things have changed in such drastic ways and I have complained so often but after this year to reflect upon where I was and to see now where God has brought me I can hardly speak. I find myself just awestruck by who God is that He would really even care.

What a great God we serve who does not leave things frozen or broken but reconciles all things and blesses the undeserving so richly.

To His Glory alone,
JG

No comments:

Blog Archive