Monday, March 27, 2006

In Accordance



I’m sitting here at the San Francisco listening to what I would call the greatest music in the whole world…Reuben Morgan. I am pretty obsessed with him right now. Anyways though… San Francisco is a very different place than LA. You probably are saying no duh. Seriously though, California is full of very interesting people both in LA and also in SF. The thing is though I set out this trip to figure out why is there such a rivalry between them so I decided to simply listen on the plane ride to San Francisco no music no listening just sitting and soaking it all in as I often avoid with my ipod. I came to some really interesting conclusions about people here.
We had one gay man who met his friend coincidentally to the right of me across the aisle. He said the gods had blessed him. I would call that a blessing because he got the chance to spend a plane ride talking about what he wanted to talk about and being honest with another guy about who he was. We bottle up our emotions and hide who we truly are too often. In his case it is not necessarily the best way I would look at blessed but definitely God does bless people, he does love him.

Another interesting thing that I was thinking about my mom said today that of any churches she had been apart of the one they currently attend is plagued more than any with financial problems and health problems. One thing is certain they are either doing something incredibly right and that is spiritual warfare or they are doing something terribly wrong. I think it is probably the first though because all the people that have been sick have had life changing ministries for hundreds of people. I have reason because of this and other evidence that the deeper life of Christianity is not always one full of blessings like the gay guy seems to be experiencing but rather it is one where the world is going to hate Christians who are experiencing the deep life and acting in accordance to what they have learned. Yah that sounds great doesn’t it? I keep on coming back to the fact that we are in a battle and Christianity is not an easy thing to do. No duh again. But work with me here…

The thing is though I cannot exactly explain why certain people have better circumstances than others. Why did I get stuck in front of two kids that were loud and kicking when I had decided to sit through the flight just sitting there and the gay guy got to sit next to one of his good friends by coincidence. I’m not jealous of him because I know God uses my circumstances to shape me and I am jealous of no one because I get the chance to walk where my spirit has prepared before me. I can’t ask for anything more. One thought I had though I know that at least the way the Christian community has treated people like him God is probably wrapping his arm around that guy saying I love you so much…that is what we see as blessing. I don’t want material blessing but rather for Christ to wrap his arm around me…he has already done that but I want more. I always want more hopefully one day I will reach that peak and then the more will be more than I could ever dream or imagine. That is what God is in the business of doing.

Pastor Jeff brought up the point that we as Christians are so easy to point out all those apparent problems but we are so prone to skip certain issues like worry. Sin is sin and not having faith is sin. I see that God is blessing me when I still have sin in my life, what is stopping him from blessing others who have more or even less. I don’t think we should be so prone to think ourselves better than others but rather in everything act in accordance to the servant hood that Christ poured out towards us when he made himself human and allowed himself to be killed. We should be willing to bless people no matter what sin they are in. Who are we to say who gets the blessing? Who are we to judge? That is God’s role our role is to act impartially and live in accordance to the knowledge we have gained and the knowledge we have been given. We live in an age where we know a whole lot more than any other time about the bible and archeology and everything that “proves” Christianity to be true but why are we not any better than any other generation? I don’t know. We need to act in accordance. We must.

No comments:

Blog Archive