Monday, November 20, 2006

The Pursuit of Woman and the forgetting of other important things

I wonder how often we do forget about those things that did once matter to us beause we are pursuing other things. I know all things in the christian life are a delicate balance and by no means is it an easy balance to keep. Yet I see so many around me forgetting about those things that once mattered to them, they are consumed with a certain signifigant other. They change their character to someone to fit the liking of the other person and leave everything a little more tangled up because of it.

Granted God uses woman to change men and make them better individuals in the cliche saying " you complete me." But to neglect everything else to run towards a woman, there is something wrong with that. God will most certainly use it but we could save ourselves a lot of trouble as men if woman were a +1 to things and not a minus everything plus one thing.

Maybe I believe in the +1 philosophy too much and believe friendship too important to forget about it because of some signifigant other. And granted I have yet to find someone that cares as much about me as I do about them except Elise, I like her a lot "she completes me." But although I am still pouring out in an extent to a lot of people I am not going to abandon it for someone that completes me. Maybe that is stupid but I believe you can't devote yourself soley to something you need to manage a lot of things. That is the way life works, if you set yourself up with only one foundational stone if that should collapse you are left totally ravaged and collapsed.

I am so glad the Jesus Christ is the perfect cornerstone.

As we learn in structures everyday it is okay to put unessecary struts in because it covers up should you have some mistakes. We are so imperfect in every way and need some extra struts in there because of our flaws and mistakes. Christ should be the cornerstone of our lives all the time because he is the perfect foundation, we should rely on that but it is not realistic for most. We need those other foundational stones like good friends, signifigant others, family etc.. To only have one and neglect the others can lead to not good things.

My prayers are with those people that are forgetting. All I know is that should they not have a foundational stone in Jesus Christ things will collapse sooner or later, those other struts may be able to hold them up for a while but it won't last forever.

Sometimes we as christians do need to let go and let the forces fall upon Christ the cornerstone not the other struts. But know there are imperfect motives in the world and sometimes people need us.

It is all about balance and keeping Christ the cornerstone... the perfect one.

JG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is something that is seen in our society far too often, the complete consummation of self with someone else. Like I have said before, I know and see that women struggle with finding their complete identity in a man, in a relationship. That reliance upon one thing may appear steady for a time, but too often it crumbles, making one fall, and leaving behind a trail of hurt and regrets. It seems men struggle with the same or a similar thing from what you wrote.

As I dislike a lot of clichés about relationships because I desire to let Christ define everything, one I am not particularly fond of is the statement “you complete me.” As God taught me this summer, everything I need and desire can be found in Him. As Christians, are we not already made complete through Christ? I think it is dangerous to say that one “completes” us, because if that one is taken away, then it essentially says we are incomplete. I don’t believe this is true, and I know you don’t either. Instead of the “you complete me,” why not go with what you said as relationships and significant others being a +1 to things. Thinking personally about this, I find that I am complete in Christ alone, but He chooses to use you and our relationship to…enrich that completeness if you will. What might be solid and steady traits that Christ has established in me become more dynamic through you and our relationship.

As you and I talk about often, we can’t neglect those other components of our life to immerse ourselves in each other. Our relationship is one component of our life, not the entire thing, and Christ alone should dictate what amount that component should entail. That concept comes back to leaning on Christ and letting the Spirit lead. We can’t always be so rigid in our own ways and what we think to be best that we prevent the Spirit to move in us.

I guess there are two questions that have been raised in my mind from what you wrote: one being do we place ourselves in so much rigidity to be contrary to the world that we do not allow ourselves to experience the God-given blessing, walking in freedom of the Spirit? And secondly and one that is prominent in my mind, what is your definition of “pursuit of woman?” I could very well be missing something as I read this, but it appears to me that you explain the effects of pursuit with little reference to what should an actual pursuit of woman look like? I’m trying to figure out the context of the implications of the pursuit as you write. What is your definition of pursuit of woman?

Know that you have gotten me curious and thinking, thus the reason for the long comment :-). Through reading this, God prompted me to write about something He’s been teaching me for the past month or so, so I will blog on that soon. As always, I’d love to hear your heart on this and more.

In Christ,
Elise

Blog Archive