Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Unwavering devotion

I've heard it said that you don't really know what you have til you lose it. I remember Jesus telling a parable of the lost sheep. That although he had a hundred he would go out searching for the one. I strongly believe in regards to friendship that we are to be like this shepard who goes out searching for that lost sheep. We in unwavering devotion go after those to whom no one else knows is missing because it is alone our responsibility.

Honestly these words are hard to write because that has been what I have been doing for a long time being unwavering in my devotion to people and all the things friendship entails. Showing in a sense love to someone that was never shown love. I did this in high school with my girlfriend of three years giving her all my love and devotion that I could and in the end seeing her realize that the God of the universe was pursuing her and loved her. I did this with a lot of friendhips by simply just listening to them.

There is however none of this for me besides God and Elise.

The Ironic thing I find now is that to the one that cannot hear, she hears me best and listens best. To those who have ears that function properly take a lesson from the deaf who listen better than you. Ask questions and see what people have to offer besides simply letting them listen to you.

I know american culture doesn't lend itself to anything besides self gratification but perhaps things could change if you simply let God do what he does best, change the unchangable. I met one guy who is coming to Cal Poly next quarter that actually knows how to talk to people, listen and ask questions. I wonder what that relationship holds.

As I am finding out about this whole initative thing, God is teaching me that perhaps just getting me to do something was the step I needed to take. I needed to become what I never was: a man of initative. Not listening but letting my frustation build into speech and action .In this initative towards friendship in every form and fashion I am finding that God has infinitley more people for me to in a sense befriend. And honestly with everything that is going on I am no longer waiting for friendships of old to rekindle, I will let them when and if they do, but for once I am not waiting. I am in a sense seeing what God has placed in regard to means to good friendships. Perhaps as was the case last year it can grow and be the friendships that God can do wonderful things and provide in wonderful blessed ways through.We'll see! They will take time to grow but once grown they are truly beautiful things.

JG

No comments:

Blog Archive