Thursday, July 27, 2006

A stern warning

"The popular notion that the first obligation of the church is to spread the gospel to the uttermost parts of the Earth is false. Her first obligation is to be spiritually worthy to spread it. Our lord said"go" but he also said "wait," and the waiting had to come before the going. Had the disciples gone forth as missionaries before the day of pentacost, it would have been an overwhelming spiritual disaster, for they could have done no more than make converts of their own likeness, and this would have altered for the worse the whole history of the western world and had consequences throughout the ages to come."
-Tozer (warfare of the Spirit)

"For ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves( Matthew 23:15)

" Our religious mood is social instead of spiritual, We have lost the art of worship. We are not producing saints. Our models are sucessful businessmen, celebrated athletes and theatrical personalities. We carry on our religous activities after the method of the modern advertiser. Our literature is shallow and our hymnody borders on sacriledge. And scarcely anyone appears to care. We must have a better kind of christianity or we may have no true christianity left at all. Increased numbers of demi-christians is not enough. we must have a reformation."

JG

1 comment:

Colin said...

mmmm...that spoke to my heart.
That is so true about demi-Christians. Tozer never ceases to rock my socks...completly off...and do my laundry sometimes too.
Yah, that is so consistent with what I have been experiencing as of late. I have been fasting and praying and more peace and confirmation is blotted into my journal pages after a late night of scribbling and worship.
Oh, exciting news I am going to a college men's small group at my church with Chad. Amazing!
I think the whale has a lot of growing to do, but it will take a LOT of time. No rush. I am so happy because I know that I don't need to rush things, just wait on God and worship Him without ceasing. Thanks for your prayers and encouragement John. Love you bro!

Colin

Blog Archive